Robin

I'm sure you qualify for honorary membership of the hardy veteran category. Prepare for exhibition :)

I can think of a number of reasons for ambiguous feelings about Outposts pamphlets.  I saw some of McCaig's early poems a long time ago but I can't remember where. I wasn't very struck by them.

On 10 January 2011 07:44, Robin Hamilton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">David Bircumshaw
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: Thanks, Robin.--Other Questions

Oh I loved Edgell Rickword but wasn't he a bit old to be a 'new' poet in 1949 (he was in WW 1 remember).

Point, though he was only eighteen when he joined up in 1916, so the WWI poems are what you might call precocious, and he lived to a fair age.  And William Soutar and McDiarmid (included) were both born earlier.

I always think of him as a 'now-forgotten' poet of the 20s (who kept on writing. And wasn't forgotten.)
McCaig wasn't the only 'Forties-style' poet to renounce his allegiance - Norman Nicholson too (or a young poet not Rexroth included, one P.Larkin - The North Ship was 1949 wasn't it?)

North Ship  was pretty much Auden rather than Thomas, so not Apocalypse, even Then.  Have you read any of McCaig's early Apocalypse peoms?  I haven't, and they're excluded from the Collected.

Talking of exclusions, David (D.M.) Black never mentions his first two books -- one was called Rocklestrakes and the other the title I don't recall -- both published by Howard Sergeant as Outpost pamphlets.
Go figure.

Hey, Bill Montgomerie's included!!   Does that mean I count as a hardy veteran, since I knew someone in the anthology?

Best,

Robin