We have a vacancy for a cataloguer to list the records of the National Union of Women Teachers (NUWT), which is our largest, deposited collection. This is an externally funded project that has been funded by the National Cataloguing Grants Programme for Archives, the History of Education Society and the Friends of the Newsam Library and Archives.

The NUWT campaigned primarily for equal pay for women teachers, but was also closely involved in the Women’s movement and wider areas of social policy from its establishment in 1904, until it disbanded in 1961.

The work will involve the listing and indexing of 370 boxes of the Union’s records relating to all areas of its work. You will be a qualified archivist who is enthusiastic, highly organised and self-motivated, with excellent communication and presentation skills. You will need to have substantial, practical, cataloguing experience using recognised standards, such as ISAD(G), NCA Rules and ISAAR (CPF). You will also be highly proficient in using archival listing and collection management software. You should also have experience of working with volunteers

For further details of this post please see: http://jobs.ioe.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=6PR-LIB-5044

Becky Webster

Deputy Archivist

Information Services
Institute of Education, University of London
20 Bedford Way
London WC1H 0AL

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel: +44 (0)20 7612 6983

Fax: +44 (0)20 7612 6093

www.ioe.ac.uk

Due to building works, our archive stores will be unavailable from Monday 13th December until the end of January. During that period we will be restricted as to the type of enquiries we will be able to answer. We will make every effort to answer your questions where possible.

There will also be extremely limited access for researchers during this period. Please contact us to ascertain whether the archives you require are available.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.