Dear Melissa Harrington

Good question from "devil's advocate"
possibilities
1. Ancient magicians were better than moderns-
2. Third world magicians better than first?
3. In 1980s when Audrey Harper claimed she was a dabbler in the occult -
she did often levitate - but might have been the LSD in the candles -
but there again I can think of a better place to put it.*
4. Accounts of flying appear in the grimoires for entertainment value only!
4. It is and always has been a metaphor?
Blessings to you

Mogg Morgan

ps: we publish a handy little book called "The Flying Sorcerer"
but its really about Francis Barrett's pioneering but not very
successful, attempts at Balloon flight

* the closest to the story in the article