Btw., the Peter Anson book recommended below, is, I believe, called “Bishops at Large”. It was republished a few years ago, and should be widely available.

Arild

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Caroline Tully
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Titles

Thanks! Interesting.

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Robertson
Sent: Monday, 10 January 2011 7:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Caroline,

Episcopi Vagantes refers to bishops who have a (supposedly) valid Catholic consecration but no chair. Most of these lines of succession come from the Old Catholic movement, which originates in the Breakaway Dutch Old Church in 1724. Jean Bricaud was consecrated in 1913 into the succession of Old Catholic Bishop Joseph René Vilatte, granting the Ecclessia Gnostica Universal valid apostolic succession. He, in turn, consecrated Theodor Reuss in 1919, who drew the EGU into the OTO. The OTO today largely feels this succession is irrelevant for a body devoted to Thelema, not Christianity, yet OTO bishops remain technically Episcopi Vagantes.

Good sources on these subjects:

Pearson, J. (2007) Wicca and the Christian Heritage: Ritual, Sex and Magic.

Anson (1961) Wandering Bishops.

Urban, H. B. (2006). Magia Sexualis: Sex, Magic, and Liberation in Modern Western Esotericism.

König, P-R (1994) "Stranded Bishops." http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/bishops.htm

Cheers, David Robertson