Geraldine

If there is no bony regrowth, then postmortem damage is perhaps an explanation.

Recent postmortem damage shows up as pale breaks around the margins.

By contrast, the anomaly in question is the same colour as the remainder of the bone. So it is perhaps immediately postmortem, so that the surfaces of the anomaly have undergone the same taphonomic changes that we see in the remainder of the undamaged bone.

In this connection, what are the evident scoring marks that show up on image 5? I don't know my dog scapulae, but wonder whether they are tooth marks. If toothmarks, then perhaps they are related to the area of larger damage.

Or are the scorings normal attachment areas for ligaments?

Richard