The Higher Education Academy’s Education for Sustainable Development Project Weekly e-Bulletin

Reminder: The deadline for submissions to our next bimonthly e-Newsletter is Friday 7th January, for publication at the end of January.

Important: UKPSF Consultation
The HEA is currently undertaking a consultation on the UK Professional Standards and further information is available on the Academy’s UKPSF consultation web page. This is an opportunity to ensure that the sustainability agenda is reflected appropriately in the UK PSF and one of the proposed revisions is the need for staff to understand the implications of the sustainability agenda for their roles. The deadline is Monday 17 January 2011.

Section E – Sustainability:
5.7 There is a growing and important focus on sustainability in higher education which impacts across the curriculum and influences approaches to teaching and learning. This means staff will increasingly need to understand and articulate the nature and value of the sustainability agenda. As a support for this, the revised UKPSF incorporates sustainability literacy within the new professional value of ‘global citizenship’.

Question 7:
Comment is invited on the location of the sustainability focus within ‘global citizenship’,
one of the Framework’s professional values.

Reminder: Call for Green Academy Participation
Green Academy: Curricula for Tomorrow
A call for participation
http://tinyurl.com/ga2011

The context:

The offer:

We invite applications for participation in Green Academy: Curricula for Tomorrow. See attached for guidance and application form. Deadline 5pm on Monday 10 January 2011.

Please note that the call for participation in the Academy’s flagship change programme, Change Academy, is now available: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/ourwork/universitiesandcolleges/changeacademy

Social Policy and Social Work Subject Centre
The HEA’s SWAP is currently looking for case studies of work being done in these areas around embedding sustainability in the curriculum.
http://www.swap.ac.uk/events/swapevents/230211sustainable.html

Nursing, Sustainability and Climate Change on Facebook
As part of a small research project, Benny Goodman, Lecturer in Health at the University of Plymouth, has set up a Facebook group to engage students with sustainability and climate change. The group is open to anyone to get involved.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=235106806085

Message in a Bottle: Learning Our Way Out of Unsustainability
Inaugural address of Prof Arjen Wals
http://tinyurl.com/MessageWals

Climate Week
One week to show how we can combat climate change – 21 to 27 March 2011
Thousands of events and activities, highlighting the positive steps being taken to help combat climate change, are being planned by organisations from every part of society for the UK’s first Climate Week.
http://www.climateweek.com

Looking forward to a sleety weekend,
heather
--
Heather Luna
ESD Project Coordinator

To unsubscribe from HEA-ESD-NEWS, please send an e-mail to [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] with UNSUBSCRIBE HEA-ESD-NEWS in the body. If you received this via another list, you will need to contact that administrator to unsubscribe.

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131