Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:28:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [SPM] co-registration in SPM5: how to make best of it?
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: [log in to unmask]

My understanding of SPM is that any mathematical operation requires that data be resliced as SPM operations are performed on voxels (e.g. all time points at voxel 1, .. all time points at voxel N) rather than a specific place in space (e.g. all time points at x1,y1,z1; all time point at x1,y1,z1). Thus, I'd be concerned about step 3 if you don't write out the data. The same concern is true for point number 9; however, if you reslice in step2, you don't need to reslice in step 6 because your not changing the relationship of voxels between slices, so the voxel alignment is maintained. This only works for affine transformation. Anything that is non-linear or requires a deformation requires that the data be written out as the information can't be stored in the header -- one caveat being that you can multiply deformation fields together now, so multiple deformations can be done with a single reslicing step.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
=================
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Office: (773) 406-2464
=====================
This e-mail contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION which may contain PROTECTED HEALTHCARE INFORMATION and may also be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of the e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are in possession of confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail unintentionally, please immediately notify the sender via telephone at (773) 406-2464 or email.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:31 AM, michel grothe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,
sorry that this seems to be a never-ending story, but now I´ve got a doubt about reslicing as well:

> Reslicing after realignment / coregistration may be necessary if you are
> 1) Applying realignment before slice time correction
> 2) Analysing in native space, so there is no spatial normalisation step
> 3) Using realignment with unwarping

In step 2), does this mean that the header information is not considered in SPM stats (and slice-time correction in step 1)? What if temporal filtering is set between realignment and spatial normalisation?
I think I remember some words along the line "reslicing is virtually only necessary if you´re using Nifti-incompatible software in further processing steps". So I thought that SPM always considers the header-information (like in Display/CheckReg) and therefore there is no need to reslice. Did I get that wrong?
The SPM manual states that reslicing should be used with unwarping because of interpolation issues. How about the DARTEL-normalisation of fMRI data?

It would be great if someone could comment on my processing pipeline for rs-fMRI, which I adopted from various posts on this mailing list:

1. slice-time correction
2. realignment, only mean image resliced
3. temporal filtering (0.1-0.01 Hz), using REST-toolbox (SPM5-routines?)

4. bring structural in rough alignment to MNI space with reorient-script found in the archives (improve starting estimates)
5. Segment the structural and DARTEL warp directly to MNI space using VBM8-toolbox; calculate native skull-stripped T1 with ImCalc nativeT1.*((GM+WM+CSF)>0.5)
6. coregister (estimate only) mean_functional to native skull-stripped T1, move along all slice-time corrected, realigned, temporally filtered EPIs
7. Warp coregistered EPIs using deformation from DARTEL-normalisation of T1-image
8. Extract ROIs for Seed-based functional connectivity from warped EPIs using masks in standard space

9. Run multple regression with time-courses of ROIs on slice-time corrected, realigned, temporally filtered, coregistered EPIs from point 6 (NOT warped) to obtain FCmaps
10. convert FCmaps to z-maps, warp z-maps using deformation from DARTEL-normalisation of T1-image (as in step 6).
11. Smooth the warped z-maps and run 2nd-level random effects analysis

Following the previous post I am now worried about processing step 9. The images are resliced after the realignment at the temporal filtering step, but what about the co-registering to the T1-image which is only estimated (written to the header)?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Best,
Michel