Dear Joao,

>So, my questions are: At the end, you just need to smooth the "mwrp1*-affine.nii" images and do the stats? These "mwrp1*-affine.nii", as well as the smoothed versions and the results are in MNI space?

Yes, as long as the images are written out in rp*-affine space. DARTEL 'create Template' warps the images to their average anatomy (the DARTEL-templates 1-6), and the average anatomy of x images linearly (12-parameters, affine transform) aligned to MNI space will also be in MNI space.
If you write the images as rp*-rigidly aligned to MNI space (SPM default) in the VBM8 toolbox, then your images are just rotated and translated (3 +3 = 6 parameters) to match the --orientation-- of MNI space. They are not scaled and thus do not conform to MNI space and will not after DARTEL-registration using 'create Template' and 'create warped'. These images can be warped with 'create Template' and subsequent 'Normalise to MNI space', i.e. VBM8 segmented images rigidly aligned to MNI space can be used the same way as DARTEL imported images from SPM8-New Segment (or even 'old' segment + DARTEL import).

Best,
Michel