The reason the codex replaced the scroll was two-fold. 1) the scroll was
so blasted inconvenient. Not long enough for a substantial work (Virgil
one book at a time?) and no paging back and forth. 2) The codex was the
chosen medium of the new religion, where use of the codex first appeared
while the scroll still appeared to be dominant. There are books on this,
but I forget what -- ironically, I can't find anything any more among my
double-shelved books! Not something the Kindle would help, though I
believe Santa has a Kindle-like gleam in his eye. Germaine

Germaine Warkentin // English (Emeritus), University of Toronto
http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/germainew/

"May you be given bread and beer"
	-- Ancient Egyptian Prayer for the Dead