SARAH SZE’s

studio itself had become
a piece that had grown into the architecture,
ran into a Richard Artswager that was down there,
a car that I chopped up into 5 pieces,
how empty or full spaces--

sculpture, primarily gravity, levitated the piece.

Barry Alpert / Silver Spring MD US / 12-1-30 (6:44 PM)

Initially drafted while listening/watching a talk by Sarah Sze at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.  Two old friends had urged me to attend, but since I had never previously heard of this visual artist, I was reluctant to run the obstacle course which would get me into the museum on time.  A google search led me to her gallery's presentation of her work, but my reading of this very polished interview got me there, and her live talk allowed me room to work:

http://www.brooklynrail.org/2010/10/art/phong-bui-with-sarah-sze