well...

let's start by giving the person submitting the application... the benefit of the doubt.   what was the wording of the form?  i bet... it was worded in a way that someone not directly in the field would have also have submitted materials 'about them' instead of 'from them'.   I think most of the negativity around this so far is just forgetting that the norms and rationality surrounding academic forms is inculcated, it isn't natural, nor are their interpretations available to everyone.  To take an academic form about research grants or postdocs to an art school and expect it to be filled out as a researcher who has been doing it 30 years is just expecting too much.  So my position is not that any norms were broken or any wrong caused here, but that the rationality and normality of the forms was inaccessible to the respondent filling it out and instead of seeking help from someone 'in the know' they did they best they could.

I also agree with ken, there is no plagiarism here, and I actually don't think it is misattribution, i think it is mis-referentiation, the person filling out the form seems to have mistaken a preposition like 'by'  to be a preposition like 'about' .  Or that the instructions on the submission were not clear enough for them to understand.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Political Science
Virginia Tech

Everything you can imagine is real.
--Pablo Picasso