I'm delighted to be corrected, first of all, and second, to be corrected by
David.  My expertise is with US universities, so david's comment on theUK is
appreciated.

Note that the end result in both the US and the UK is much the same: it
takes much longer to get a PhD in the US than in the UK (or at least it used
to).  5 - 7 years isnot unusual in the US. Most science and engineering
departments in the US accept students immediately for the PhD, but there is
a gate at roughly 2 or 3 years at the Qualifying exams, and a number of
students leave at that point with a courtesy MS degree.

As for the quality of refereeing in design conferences, I have never been to
a DRS conference (even though I am a member of the society), and i was
surprised to read the process and standards -- very pleasantly surprised, i
might add. The attention to the quality of the reviewers is rare and very
time-consuming on both the selection committee and then on the workload of
the reviewers. So I commend the society.

The 33% acceptance rate is still higher than the CHI conference acceptance
rate, but a good  indicator of quality. And yes, Design Studies is a superb
journal (as is the international Journal of Design)

Thanks

Don