Dear all,
We would like to invite you to the below workshop at the Centre for the Study of Contemporary Women’s Writing.

We would be grateful if you could forward this email to colleagues and students you think might be interested.

Thank you.

Please direct all emails to [log in to unmask]

Creating the Child’s Voice

Friday 28 January 2011

Room G22/6, Senate House,
University of London, Malet Street, WC1E 7HU

A workshop hosted by the Centre for the Study of Contemporary Women’s Writing at the Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, University of London

Programme

10.25-10.45   Arrival and coffee

10.45-11.45   The real child’s voice (Chair: Gill Rye, French, IGRS)

Jessamy Harvey (Spanish, Birkbeck): ‘Between revolt and awe: two post-world war II girl prodigies, Elsa García Novo (Spain) and Minou Drouet (France)’

Lindsey Dodd (French, Reading): ‘The real child’s voice? Narrating childhood in oral history’

11.45-12.45   Genre, authenticity and legitimacy (Chair: Godela Weiss-Sussex, German, IGRS)

Andrea Hammel (German, Aberystwyth): ‘Genre, trauma and the child’s voice: exploring Kindertransport stories’

Alexandra Lloyd (German, Wadham College, Oxford): ‘Seen, but not heard? Literary accounts of Jewish childhood under the Third Reich’

12.45-1.45    Lunch (sandwiches provided)

1.45-3.15 Narrative and stylistic techniques (Chair: Adalgisa Giorgio, Italian, Bath)

Katrin Wehling-Giorgi (Italian, St. Anne’s College and Brasenose College, Oxford): ‘“Totetaco”: uterine spaces and pre-conceptual languages in Elsa Morante’s Aracoeli

Antoinette McNamara (German, Limerick): ‘Finding one’s voice using literary ventriloquism’

Nora Ellen Maguire (German, Trinity College Dublin): ‘The child’s voice in Emine Sevgi Özdamar’s Das Leben ist eine Karawanserei

3.15-3.30 Tea

3.30-4.30 Roundtable (Chair: Abigail Lee Six, Hispanic Studies, Royal Holloway)

Abstracts

Registration
This event is free and open to all, but we need to know approximate numbers to order catering, so please register by 14 January by emailing [log in to unmask]