Great thread. Another associated concern that has not been raised, I think, is the issue of just who is participating in this list, especially when tensions in current midwifery theory/ practice are discussed.

It would be a great shame to silence, for example, NHS practitioners, if they felt that confidentiality was compromised in a way that didn't fit with their obligations to their NHS employer, especially if they are at 'the leading edge of practice'. Perhaps this is more an issue for the more normative 'normal birth' jisclist, however ?

Jo
From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scamell, Amanda [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 December 2010 08:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ethical use of on-line and email list discussions

Hi Nicky,

Quite so and I think here lies the rub.

Research design and ethical considerations are tightly linked.  In some cases, therefore, the notion of formal, prospective informed consent (that is to say, those consent procedures generally privileged by ethics committees) does not necessarily apply to some research designs. My question is (another one?!) should the fact that 'the one size fits all' approach does not, in fact, actually fit all, justify abandoning ethical principles?  My own research background is in anthropological ethnography, which means that these are precisely the ethical problems faced everyday 'in the field'.  I'm not trying to suggest that they are easily overcome, far from it, I'm simply interested that debate on these concerns when using virtual interaction as a data source, appears to be relatively undeveloped.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested Social Science and Medicine did a nice special edition on the ethics of ethnography in health research a few years ago - this does not touch on the virtual data issue at all but my own personal research experience suggests that the ethical concerns RE ethnographic participants overlaps significantly with the issues which have been raised in this thread (Soc.Sci.Med., 2007, 65, 11).

Thanks for raising this point Nicky, its been really helpful for me to get a proper handle on what it is I am uncomfortable with in all of this.

Thanks again to everyone for their contributions on this thread, its been great!

Mandie Scamell