medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Just a quick reply to Catherine - I too have enjoyed reading Ton Brandenbarg and the book "Interpreting Cultural Symbols" - but I wish that my Dutch was better so that I could understand all that Ton writes.
Just for interest: The Carmelite John Bale copied an anonymous life of St Anne when he visited Belgium c1523-24. It's in Latin, around 35 pages when typed, and describes the life of St Anne including some Carmelite embellishments, e.g. St Anne is taken to Mount Carmel as a young girl by her mother Emerenciana in order to consult the Carmelite hermits there. Anne says that she wants to remain single and devote her life to God: but fortunately for later church history, the hermits have a vision of a tree bearing fruit which symbolises St Anne giving birth to Mary and then producing the fruit, Christ himself. (Now who would have thought that the whole of redemption depended on some Carmelite hermits.....!!!)
              Richard

On 13 December 2010 13:41, Catherine.Lawless <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks so much, Eliana and Richard! I really enjoyed researching and writing it. Richard is quite right, the northern legends identify Emerenciana or Emerentiana as the mother of St Anne and thus the grandmother of Mary.  There are some great essays on the Holy Kindred or Holy Kinship in Interpreting Cultural Symbols:  Saint Anne in Late Medieval Society, ed. Pamela Sheingorn and Kathleen Ashley (Athens, GA, 1990), and  Ton Brandenbarg has done a lot of work on same, e.g.  ''Saint Anne: a Holy Grandmother and Her Children', in Sanctity and Motherhood: Essays on Holy Mothers in the Middle Ages, ed. by Anneke Mulder-Bakker (New York and London: Garland, 1995), pp.31-65 and  'Saint Anne and Her Family.   The Veneration of Saint Anne in Connection with Concepts of Marriage and the Family in the Early Modern Period', in Saints and She Devils, ed. by Lène Dresen-Coenders (London, 1987), pp. 101-129.
best
Catherine

Dr. Catherine Lawless
Course Director, MA in the History of Art and Architecture
Department of History
University of Limerick
Limerick
Tel: + 353-61-202636
Email: [log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Richard Copsey
Sent: Mon 12/13/2010 12:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] jesus' great grandmother

Richard Copsey O.Carm.
I am not exactly a new member of Medieval Religion but rather a lost sheep
returning to the fold after a number of years away. I am a Carmelite friar
with a special interest in the medieval history of the mendicant orders,
especially my own. Also, because of his links with the Carmelites, I have
worked a lot on the writings of John Bale and especially unpublished early
notebooks.

I appreciated the reference to Catherine Lawler's article on Mary's
grandmother and have just read it. It is certainly a well researched paper.
However, as she points out, this legend of Ismeria as the grandmother of
Mary is a local Florentine variant on the ancestory of Mary.
The more generally accepted legend was that Mary's grandmother was
Emerenciana and that Ismeria (or Ysmeria) was the grandmother of John the
Baptist. There are many surviving early lives of St Anne which contain
accounts of her childhood and her parents. These can be linked with the
increasing devotion to St Anne in the Low Countries in the 15th century.
There are some beautiful Flemish paintings illustrating the life of St Anne
preserved in the City Art Gallery in Frankfurt which came from the Carmelite
church there. One of them has an ancestral tree of St Anne which contains
both Emerenciana and Ysmeria.
                               Richard

--
Richard Copsey O.Carm