From: Jon Cannon <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 6 December, 2010 23:06:46
Subject: Re: [M-R] Chapels

Ellie,

I've just (about) completed a survey of Berkeley acts of religious patronage in
the period c1300-c1350, and one thing that struck me was the number and variety
of chapels there were in the landscape besides the parish churches. For example
the core Berkeley estate in central Gloucestershire contained six parishes but
just as many chapels: some closely associated with lordly or knightly
residences, some on sites that the family were clearly hoping to develop in
other ways, some just 'there', a mile or two from the nearest church. I only
come across them because one lord Berkeley or another founds a memorial mass in
one; it's rarely possible to tell if the chapel has been newly built for this
purpose, or if it has stood on the site for some time. I've never found any
indication of any activities other than the saying of masses at the altar.
Physical remains are sparse. I'll happily send you the draft if any use.

Anyway, the main tip I have relates to chantry certificates. These will include
any religious building where a chantry was known to be taking place at the
Dissolution; the value of any plate is usually given, and sometimes of origins
of chantries, too. While not complete - no continuing memorial masses (sometimes
simple obits get in) in 1547, no mention -  they are a v useful way of tracking
down wayside chapels, and getting some kind of sense of how richly furnished (or
not) they were and what went on in them.

While you could consult the certificates themselves, many are published, often
in the county journal relating to the area concerned. Citations for the complete
published chantry certificates in Gloucestershire and Somerset where locatable
in seconds using the respective archaeological societies' websites, which
include indices of all articles published to date. Fascinating reading they
make, too. Hopefully something like that will exist for S Wales counties, too.

Jon

PS

This isn't the paper I've been talking to you about... we must talk about that.

--

Mobile:
07768 234168

Web:
http://joncannon.wordpress.com (blog and main website)
http://joncannonschurches.wordpress.com (subsidiary blog)

> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:26:46 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] Chapels
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Later episcopal visitations sometimes asked about chapels which had gone out of
>use.
> The crucial distinction is supposed to be between chapels of ease (used for
>Mass and presumably other services as well but without rights of baptism,
>marriage and burial) and parochial chapelries (which did have such rights) - but
>as I'm aware of several medieval chapelries in south Wales which were described
>as chapels of ease but have evidence of burials I wonder whether that's really a
>post-medieval distinction.
>
> Maddy
>

> Dr Madeleine Gray
> Reader in History
> School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
> University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
> Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
> Newport/Casnewydd NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
>
> 'Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness' (Terry
>Pratchett, Men at Arms)

the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to
contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]