On 12/7/2010 2:25 PM, Christopher Crockett wrote:
> <description of engraving technique>
> what a curious method of work --one wonders why he would work *each side* in
> progressive stages, rather than finish one side, then go on to the next,
> finish that, then go on...
Actually, on a gem this is quite logical. Different tools are often used
for the different stages of production. The artist might well sketch
everything out first with the diamond point (a chip of stone set into a
metal rod), then use a large drill to rough out all of the large masses,
and after that use smaller drills to add the details on each figure
(here, on each side). Since changing drills was probably less easy than
it is now, it would have been reasonable to finish with each tool before
moving on to the next. If that was the case here, then the work stopped
just after the third side had the large masses cut, and before the
fourth side was engraved or detail was added to any.
> this one's a Hoot:
> http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/Gudea2.jpg
Now you know the secret of my photographic choices-- anything that
strikes me as fun or interesting gets shot. I thought that the Gudea
would help demonstrate to students just how valuable hard stone was in
the Ancient Near East, but the old hippie in me also likes the idea of
the common folk grinding away the ruler over time.
best,
Genevra

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]