Thanks Genevra and Christopher,  But...
I seem to recall reading about a different broken image of Gudea having
been worn smooth, presumably by numerous hands touching it.  In other
words, a paraliturgical ritual.  It strikes me that a similar
explanation concerning this work is just as likely (if not more) as a
suggestion that the concavities were the result of grinding grain.  In
fact, given their odd and awkward conjunction, a grain grinder would
have had to have been fairly acrobatic to create all of those
concavities.  And wouldn't one have done the trick?  Also, the rock with
the concavities enshrines Gudea's feet, somewhat like a reliquary.
Cheers,
Jim

On 17/12/2010 9:41 AM, Genevra Kornbluth wrote:

> Thanks, Christopher.
> Jim, for the ID of Gudea (far outside my area of expertise) I rely on
> the BM, but it seems reasonable to me given Gudea's mania for
> self-representation and and the surviving portion's similarity to
> those images. The finished/natural look of the concavities is due to
> grinding down, as Christopher notes, with a pestle (using the statue
> as a mortar). For such a hard stone (basalt) "official" shaping is
> done in the same way, i.e. grinding rather than using a chisel.
> Official shaping, however, is on images of this period normally given
> a high polish, as these concavities are not.
> Best,
> Genevra
>
>>> Genevra,
>>> Do you happen to know how these feet have been identified as those
>>> of Gudea?
>>   An inscription, perhaps?  What I find fascinating about this is
>> that they are
>> not surrounded by "unfinished" rock forms but by finished attempts at
>> creating
>> "natural" rock forms.  The emphasis on feet is also
>> reminiscent of the cult of Serapis.
>>
>> non, Jim, that was my first thought when looking at it, but G. set me
>> straight
>> by saying that those "unfinished rock forms" were the result of the
>> [broken?]
>> statue being used as a pestle for grinding grain.

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]