Mike

We have a YouTube channel, mainly with videos produced for us by students from Wiltshire College.

The most recent set, which feature Phil Harding - one of our patrons - won the BUFVC Learning on Screen Award this year for best undergraduate film.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WiltshireHeritage

These were 'commissioned' - in the sense that we provided a budget which was used to buy additional technical guidance, travel and hire kit where needed. But this was nothing like the commercial cost, but we had to put in a lot of additional time ourselves in briefing, specification etc. The results though, are fantastic.

The films are played on a screen on the ground floor - as the objects are on the first floor and we don’t have a lift yet. We have sold about 50 DVDs of the films, and have then embedded a number of the videos in different bits of our website. We have a few case labels with QR codes so people can also play the videos using their phones in the galleries (people are interested in the idea but not sure many people have actually done this).

The first videos went up in August 2008, and we have had 9,000 views (3,300 for the one about Devizes and 1,600 for the next most popular) plus 1,174 channel views.

David

David Dawson
Director, WANHS
Wiltshire Heritage Museum
41 Long Street
Devizes
SN10 1NS
Telephone: 01380 727369

Our White Horses and Hill Figures Exhibition is now on!

The Wiltshire Heritage Museum and Library are owned and operated by the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society (WANHS).  Funding comes primarily from private sources, but also through annual grants from Wiltshire Council, Devizes Town Council and parish councils, as well as other sources for specific projects.
Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or any other legal commitment on the part of the WANHS unless confirmed by a signed communication on official paper.
For further information about the Society and Museum visit www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk.
Founded 1853.  Registered Charity No. 1080096.  A Company Limited by Guarantee Registered in England No. 3885649, 41 Long Street, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 1NS