Dear Colleagues

Now this thread appears to have run its course, this might be the moment to express disappointment that for me (and maybe for anyone from CILIP HQ monitoring) little useful or clear emerged.  Initially I felt that the chief culprit was the design of the questionnaire which started this off, in disproportionately attracting the dissatisfied, but failing to define specifics for said dissatisfaction.  Then, as the thread developed, with the opportunity for remedy, the discussion instead touched on extras not actually purchased by the basic sub.

For me the starting point is to draw up a list of core services I need from a professional organisation.  My list will not be the same as everyone’s, so the P.O. has to judge where the aggregate needs are and pitch accordingly.  For some the P.O. will be taking on too much, for others too little.  Those who don’t subscribe to a Trade Union will want the P.O. to double up on that function, as the BMA does: T.U. members on the other hand will get the distinction.

CILIP has to decide what basic list of services will command customer buy in.  This is always going to be a compromise, never exactly suiting everybody.  It is important to distinguish between that core list and the questions of how efficient and effective CILIP is in delivering what it does.  As we look at the effects of us all having to pay more for the mistakes of the bankers, we might grumble about efficiencies in all areas of our lives.  As we look at the new Govt’s proposals to dismantle the MLA and transfer representation to the Arts Council (anyone there understand medical libraries?) we might shortly start complaining about CILIP’s lobbying effectiveness as well, if we remain in shoot the messenger mode.

Personally I am grateful for that element of professional leadership CILIP is able to offer in the current climate and I will be renewing.

Colin Engel

Deputy Library Manager

Clinical Library 1st Floor C Block

Russells Hall Hospital

Dudley DY1 2HQ

(01384) 321084 or ext.1084

Help make a difference to healthcare in Dudley - become a free member of the Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust today and have your say. Email [log in to unmask]