We have experience of the consolidation service here, too. A bundle of journals arrives at the postroom of the hospital with a copy for the library on top and a note for the postroom staff to distribute the journals. As they’re not allowed to open any post which is not meant for them, they ring us to come and sign for the bundle. We used to think it was an urgent parcel of goodies for us, so we would go downstairs and sign, carry the bundle up to the library – only to find that most of the journals were for individuals working on the site. In the outtray they go, and eventually downstairs again.

It’s possible, at least in theory, that some bundles have had an individual’s journal on top and therefore the whole jolly lot has gone to them, and never returned to the postroom to be distributed to the rightful owners. I rang the courier service, and they promised to address the bundle to the postroom so they would open it, but it just didn’t work – they were too cautious, and still refused to open the bundle. But now that we’ve learnt to identify the type of parcel, we sign them out and open them in front of the postroom staff so that they can distribute them.

So, at least the journals reach the hospital, but there is no knowing whether some of them have not reached the library because of the method of distribution which doesn’t suit the working practices of the Trust. And what a waste of library staff time, having to go down to pick up somebody else’s post and then carry it downstairs again at the end of the day.

Outi

Outi Pickering

Assistant Librarian

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

Staff Library, Warneford Hospital

Headington

Oxford

OX3 7JX

Tel. 01865 738738

Email [log in to unmask]

www.obmh.nhs.uk

If you have not had a reply to your email within one working day, please contact [log in to unmask]