Hello,

I'm trying to install on a pure CentOS 5.5 the basic gLite UI. It's meant to be a box on the inside used for controlling FTS transfers. The box will never be exposed to the outside world so OBVIOUSLY it doesn't have a FQDN. After doing:

wget http://grid-deployment.web.cern.ch/grid-deployment/glite/repos/3.2/glite-UI.repo
wget http://grid-deployment.web.cern.ch/grid-deployment/glite/repos/3.2/dag.repo
yum install lcg-CA
yum groupinstall glite-UI

I was left with a machine with UI installed, but no environment defined. So I copied our site-info.def that we use on WN's and tried:

[root@cmsbox1 ~]# /opt/glite/yaim/bin/yaim -c -s site-info.def -n glite-UI
   ERROR: The hostname -f command does not return with a fully qualified hostname,
   ERROR: however this is necessary for YAIM to run properly.
   ERROR: Please check your /etc/hosts file ! Exiting.
   ERROR: Host name unknown !

What? A purely UI machine needs FQDN? Why?

What's the way out of this? Any recommendations? How is one supposed to configure the UI on a standalone system?

This is currently a showstopper in a major migration for important services to SL5 and gLite 3.2 as the old system has a fatal flaw that causes service downtimes while the new one apparently doesn't, but it depends on having a working gLite UI on the node...

Mario Kadastik, PhD
Researcher

---
  "Physics is like sex, sure it may have practical reasons, but that's not why we do it"
     -- Richard P. Feynman