We had some nasty issues when our domain was being upgraded. At one point we had a mixed 2003 and 2008 domain. This caused issues when authenticating via Kerberos or LDAP depending on which AD server the auth attempt got routed  to and whether the user account had changed the password recently we would get login errors.

It all went away when   all our domain got upgraded to 2008, our interim work around was to point our auth at an old 2003 AD server until the domain upgrade was complete. I think the AD does not like being in a mixed version number domain and messes up the ldap and kerb authentication. Certainly the fact that the problem persisted regardless of protocol (ldap or kerb) or client library (shib ldap, shib kerb, mod_auth_kerb, kinit on command line)  suggests it was a problem at the server end.