Hello,

Option -stages refers to the process of finding the parameters of the transformation (translations, rotations). When calculating the dissimilarity between the reference image (IREF) and the image we want to register to the reference image (IM), interpolation needs to be applied to IM. The interpolation choices in MCFLIRT are: trilinear, sinc and nearest neighbour. Different choices of the interpolation function are used for different stages of the algorithm, and sinc is used for the 4th stage (which is optional).

Once the minimisation process is finished and all of the transformation parameters are estimated, a transformation is applied to the image IM. This transformation can be applied using either trilinear or sinc or the nearest neighbour interpolation method (the default in MCFLIRT is trilinear interpolation). If you specify sinc_final it will be sinc.

SO in short: sinc in stages  helps to find the right transformation, sinc_final applies sinc interpolation to the image when applying this transformation.

Hope this helps,
Ivana