 I am writing to request that my name be moved from the list. No one else will care about my reasons for leaving, but I must mention them anyway.

 Yesterday and today, I have received individual messages from one Indra Karan (and I'm certain that others have received these as well), along with replies to these from Bill Harris. I'm not sure which is worse: reading messages from someone who seems in need of help (the former), and not being able to do anything about it, or reading hateful and loud screeds from someone who seems to think they're a bad ass by spelling "America" with a "k." and describing the philosophical wonders to be found in Showgirls. Yes, Kafka probably spelled "America" with a "k" too. You, sir, are not Kafka.

 As for more practical issues concerning the content of the posts, I can only quote the Smiths: "Burn down the disco,/hang the blessed d.j/because the music that they constantly play/says nothing to me about my life."  What I read here is absolutely divorced from any experience I have of the cinema. I admit to not having an advanced degree. I'm a high school dropout with an equivalency diploma. What I read here, in most instances, is mired in cant and pissing contests (see exhibit A, above).

 Well, Mike Frank's posts interest me. But then, he's one of my best friends. He gets a pass. And he is neither interested in cant or pissing contests.

 Thank you for considering my request.
 SEN
-- Film-Philosophy After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the list -- Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/ Film-Philosophy Conference (6-8 July 2011): http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/ Contact: [log in to unmask] --