Martha is absolutely right - BH's preceding post is grotesquely offensive.

And no, he understands nothing about what is and isn't kosher, not that
his Reform friends are mistaken because they have no knowledge of the
rabbinical literature (which their rabbis water down to suit). In two
words, kosher is about pure and impure, which is very different from
clean and unclean, as Mary Douglas appreciated (but don't take her word
for it - it's all in Rashi's commentaries on the Torah which I learned
as a youngster, before me and religion parted ways).

And William, you need make no apology. Your description of BH's style of
argument reminds me of Proust's comment that everyone calls clear those
ideas which have the same degree of confusion as their own.

Loved Robert's haiku.

Merry Xmas to those who celebrate it,

Michael

--
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to