People judge metaphors as bad when they do not understand them.  Perhaps.

The catfish thing - in some respects, O BH - was meant as a comment on
the fact that recent posts seem to question your credentials based on
your online identity.  You've seen them: Bill Harris is x, is y.
Whatever.

The recent documentary, Catfish, is also about people whose online
existence does not match their fleshworld existence.

The documentary takes its name from words spoken by one of the
gentlemen interviewed in the film, who explains that catfish serve an
excellent purpose in the export of tuna fish (if I recall correctly).
For, when tuna are transported alone, the meat worsens in transit.
Put a catfish in the tanks with them, though, and it keeps nipping and
biting at the tuna, and as a result the catfish keeps the tuna meat
lean.  From this is extrapolated the idea that antagonists can be
useful at keeping us on our toes.

How's that for a metaphor?  Maybe not one to live by.  But perhaps it'll do...

However antagonistic you often are on this listserv, O BH, I was
implying - obtusely, of course - that there may be some use in what
you do (although I often share with Brother Sinnerbrink's groans,
too).

Otherwise, if obtuseness is that of which I am certainly guilty,
apologies.  I am sorry (you don't see those words that often on
film-philosophy!).

But, if I might endeavour to excuse myself, when we pass from Kant to
BwO to Verhoeven to Kieslowski to Spinoza to the Scolastic Era to
Wittgenstein to Platonized Christianity to bad Biology to Kosher
studies in under 100 words, well, maybe I am not the only one guilty
of obtuseness.

For I am quite happy to say that I have absolutely no idea what this
means; it is a (muddy) flurry of impressive names and ideas, with some
of which I am more familiar than others, but the road from one to the
next is not obvious to me and I get lost every time I read it (several
times so far).

You will - probably correctly - explain to me in your upcoming and
last-word obsessed riposte that this is because I am stupid.

You will eruditely (and if we are - very - lucky with some wit) tell
me that I am not possessed of the wherewithal to see the big picture
that emerges from all of these ingredients, even if I know what some
of the ingredients are.

From your view, this might be because few are those on Film-Philosophy
who reach the appropriate heights of scholarship that you esteem
correct.  Sorry - my feeble brain and body (i.e. 'I') do their/my
best.

From my own view, I was hoping Film-Philosophy would be a forum for
learning and, in particular, good-humoured exchange.  Good humour and
email are not easy bed buddies, and perhaps limply have I tried to
marry them at times on this list.

But too often, I have read bad humoured, even bad natured, exchanges
that are only interested, as far as I can tell, in making it clear
that 'I am cleverer than thou.'

Well, rest assured, my family of film-philosophers, you are all
cleverer than me.  You, O BH in particular, can make this clear in
your next message.

So in many ways, reminding me of my idiocy, as you have done, O BH, in
your message below, is a gentle, perhaps even Catfish-like,
achievement.  But it does make me wonder whether I'd ever want to
raise a glass with you.

Shucks - perhaps it's (my over-Platonised sense of) Christmas - but i
take that back.  Cheers to you all!

--
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to