I second Alan's view (his message is below) of the student protests, and
would like to extend support also to protesting Irish students, who are
facing very similar problems. Both in Ireland and the UK, the intensity and
scale of student protests have increased sharply in recent months, and an
increase in police brutality has been common on both sides of the water
also.

The educational environment in Ireland is marked by higher student numbers,
rising lecturer-student ratios, cuts in capital spending, the casualization
of all employment relations on campus and, most insidious of all, a shift
towards the evaluation of education in terms of merely economic outputs. The
thuggery of educational policy is a policy that breeds more thuggery, greed
and materialism.

As a film lecturer (here is my reason why this post is relevant to this
forum), I try to educate my students about the political economy in which
film is made and consumed, and in which they find themselves. Film education
is a means of encouraging ethical and political engagement in a society
where such an activity is deemed unquantifiable and therefore suspect. There
are many terms that we can use to name the values that we would like future
generations to champion - fairness, non-domination, inclusion, equality,
sustainability, ethical responsibility, solidarity, community, skepticism,
independence, wisdom, resistance, or whatever you're having yourself.

However we identify these values, there is little doubt that they are under
threat by educational policies across Europe. I think it is the role of film
lecturers, scholars and others to stand up to this, to demonstrate to our
students that standing up to this is worthwhile, and to attempt to carve out
at least one niche of the humanities where resistance is alive and well.

Cormac

Alan wrote:

Hello everyone,
I just want to raise my voice in support of our brave and committed
students, who are today out on the streets fighting this
completely anti-democratic legislation that is an attack on the foundations
of our culture. From now on only the rich and those
enthralled by the paranoid individualism of consumerism will be afforded an
'education'. because this is so blatantly
anti-democratic the sons and daughters of the working class who have found
employment in the police force are now in the position
of defending, by force, the laws that are designed to deny their children an
education. (remember Pasolini?) Everywhere the
paradox of parliamentary democracy is  displayed and everywhere this
spectacle is denied by the mediations that reproduce it.
Victory to the students.
Peace
Alan

--
Film-Philosophy
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to