I am quoting what Richard Lehman did last month ( i am sure he won't mind ):

"Diagnosis, Microbial Epidemiology, and Antibiotic Treatment of Acute Otitis Media in Children : A Systematic Review" - sounds like the kind of paper every GP needs to mull over: and mull I did, even as I waited for the next kid with earache to arrive on my shift.

The questions of importance to me were "are there any clinical features that I am capable of eliciting that will predict a response to antibiotics?", and "given that all parents bringing in kids with earache have already tried paracetamol and ibuprofen, is there any alternative to the irrational prescription of an antibiotic?"

This review does not answer these questions. Instead it takes a laborious and sometimes circular tour through all the evidence, basing the diagnosis of OM on the presence of an effusion, which requires tympanometry. That evening I wrote several prescriptions for amoxicillin, which according to this article carries a NNT of 9, but all the while I wished I had access to something as simple as lidocaine ear drops, which were shown some years ago to relieve most otalgia while nature takes its course and the otitis cures itself.

Systematic reviews not answering questions and taking laborious and sometimes circular tour through all the evidence is an issue that is more common than we would like to admit?

:-)