For those of you interested in healthcare-

How much do you charge for copies of x-rays? We are being challenged for charging £25 because the patient is arguing that they are held entirely in electronic format and therefore the maximum should be £10.

Guidance states:
Health records held electronically: up to a maximum £10 charge.
Health records held in part electronically and in part on other media (paper, x-ray film): up to a maximum £50 charge.
Health records held totally on other media: up to a maximum £50 charge.

In this sense I think electronic means you can hit a button and press print – not you have to access a system and extract the data to a separate file type in order to provide them. We couldn’t for example print an x-ray to A4, it would have to be either to film or CD so this a more involved and expensive process than just pressing print.

We currently supply them on CD with the software to read the images-can we classify this as other media?

Ian Garratt