From: John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 21 December, 2010 18:23:47
Subject: Re: Conspiracy of silence

Hi all,

One of the references George Monbiot was using was this:
http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/atmosphere.html

Quote: "While individual weather extreme events cannot be directly
linked to larger scale climate changes, recent data analysis and
modeling suggest a link between loss of sea ice and a shift to an
increased impact from the Arctic on mid-latitude climate (Francis et al.
2009; Honda et al. 2009). Models suggest that loss of sea ice in fall
favors higher geopotential heights over the Arctic. With future loss of
sea ice, such conditions as winter 2009-2010 could happen more often.
Thus we have a potential climate change paradox. Rather than a general
warming everywhere, the loss of sea ice and a warmer Arctic can increase
the impact of the Arctic on lower latitudes, bringing colder weather to
southern locations."

However, Sir David King did not mention this link to sea ice (and hence
to global warming).  Instead he chose to mention the similarity between
the Polar Oscillation (strong negative phase [1]) now and that in the
early 60's, saying we might have a repeat.

I wonder what Prof Beddington will say to David Cameron?

Cheers,

John

[1] http://nsidc.org/arcticmet/patterns/arctic_oscillation.html

---