Michael,
    I think something crudely resembling what you are asking can be done with Chimera.

 Load your two PDBs and run matchmaker

Tools > Structure Comparison > MatchMaker

In the dialog box that appears, under matching, there is a box that is ticked by default "iterate by pruning long atom pairs until no pair exceeds: "

You can play with the value and see when the residues you are interested in  are no longer involved in the superposition.

To see the RMSD between the atoms pairs used you need to look in the reply log  (Favorites > Reply log)

Stephen