Hi Jim,

If I remember correctly the delay volume from the pumps to the top of the
column is roughly 8 ml for Äkta Purifier, Explorer and also Prime. The actual
volume from the bottom of the column to the fractionator, or more important
from the UV cell to the fractionator depends on the tubing and must be
calulated by hand. Normally this is already done and you could find this value
in the software in the fractionation part. The standard systems Explorer,
Purifier starts with the fractionation after this dead volume. So you can wait
roughly 8 ml plus your column volume, start the fractionation and than your
protein should be in one of the first fractions, assuming a step gradient.
But be cautious it is just a rough estimation!!!

Christian