Note that the original Nayal & Di Cera algorithm uses an older and
less preferred version of the bond valence model and its associated
parameters than current implementations of BV.

The original WASP uses this formula:

bond valence = (Rij/R0)^(-N)

The most up-to-date BV parameter set
(http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/web-mirrors/i_d_brown/bond_valence_param/bvparm2006.cif
) uses this:

bond valence = exp((Ro-Rij)/B)

where Rij is the metal-ligand distance, and R0, N and B are parameters
specific to the metal-ligand pair.  Obviously these parameter sets may
give different results depending on which formula you are using.

See the IUCr monograph by I.D.Brown: "The Chemical Bond in Inorganic
Chemistry: The Bond Valence Model", chapter 3 for more info.

Cheers

-- Ian