As one who has studied the post-war migration of and done very many indepth interviews with Windrush and West Indian ex-servicemen and women, I can say that they laid the foundation for the thousands of settlers who came afterwards. It was the ground-work done by those settlers in the ten years after 1945 that made it easier for others to set up home here. Also we should not forget that a significant number of West Indians did not return home in 1945, but were also instrumental in bringing about some changes from which later arrivals greatly benefited. I have not done any work on how high that number was, but I know many of the men’s 1940s stories. We should be grateful to them.

arthur