From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jack Whitehead
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 9:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do i~we explain our educational influences in learning to improve our educational influences as practitioner-researchers within the social and other formations that dynamically include us?

Hi Brian (and all) - I think a criticism of living educational theory by Susan Noffke (1997) may connect closely with your concern:

'The idea of practitioners questioning the basis of their work is an essential element to action research efforts across a wide variety of contexts (e.g., Carr & Kemmis, 1988; Elliott, 1991; Whitehead, 1993; Zeichner, 1993). Some (e.g., Dadds 1995) highlight subjectivity and practitioner reflection and are rich explorations of the layers of self in action research. Others, while also included the subjective, lived experiences of practitioners, centre on the personal and professional growth of the individual teacher as a "means for the principled modification of professional practice" (Wells, 1994, p. 25). There is some evidence too, that concepts such as freedom, rationality, justice, democracy, and so forth, play a role in the examination of both personal theories and practices (e.g., McNiff, 1993). These, in turn, are seen as acting to encourage a support efforts to challenge trends within the educational system such as obstructing the realization of the "living educational theory" (Whitehead, 1993).

 As vital as such a process of self-awareness is to identifying the contradictions between one's espoused theories and one's practices, perhaps because of its focus on individual learning, it only begins to address the social basis of personal belief systems. While such efforts can further a kind of collective agency (McNiff, 1988), it is a sense of agency built on ideas of society as a collection of autonomous individuals. As such, it seems incapable of addressing social issues in terms of the interconnections between personal identity and the claim of experiential knowledge, as well as power and privilege in society (Dolby, 1995; Noffke, 1991). The process of personal transformation through the examination of practice and self-reflection may be a necessary part of social change, especially in education;  it is however, not sufficient.' ( Noffke, 1997, p. 329)

 Noffke, S. (1997) Professional, Personal, and Political Dimensions of Action Research in, Apple, M. (Ed.) (1997) Review of Research in Education, Vol. 22, Washington: AERA.

Where you say:

"The urgency for interventions has not diminished, and as time passes I wonder if my  attention would not be better directed toward actions that are motivated by 'agape' and bring about human flourishing, rather than being centred in the "I"."

I agree with you in believing that it is desirable to direct our attention to actions that are motivated by 'agape' and that bring about human flourishing. I believe that I am doing this in my own enquiries and through supporting the enquiries of others that involve an individual 'I' expressing their educational responsibility for enhancing the flow of values that carry hope for the future of humanity. I think the Transformative Education/al Studies project funded by the National Research Foundation of South Africa between 2011-14 is grounded in these actions (see- http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/southafrica/TESproposalopt.pdf ).

The I~we in the question of the subject line of the email is intended to communicate the idea in an Ubuntu way of being of 'I am because we are'.

Where you ask:

"... but is it possible with this wonderful opportunity for you and Jean to only slightly adjust the focus of your input to transmitting understanding and skills for local people to research, and plan interventions  that will make a difference to lives and learning: the "it", the "we", the "us", the "them", rather than the prime focus on the "I"? "

What I'm hoping (and Jean can speak for herself) as we work together, is that the participants in the workshop are enabled to produce the kind of accounts that Jean has recently supported on 'Action research for teachers in Qatar' (see http://www.jeanmcniff.com/userfiles/file/qatar/Qatar_Action_Research_booklet_email.pdf ), and that are sensitive to contextual issues, and indigenous knowledge in Nigeria. I'm hoping to stress the importance of the embodied knowledge and the knowledge-creating capacities of the participants in a process of enquiry. I don't tend to think of myself 'transmitting' understanding and skills as I respond to enquiries about improving practice in specific contexts in the creation of living educational theories. I think my prime focus is the expression of the knowledge-creating capacities of individuals as they explore the implications of asking, researching and answering questions of the kind, 'How do I improve what I am doing?' in producing their living educational theories. I'm primarily interested in accounts (contributions to public knowledge) that are focused on both improving practice and generating knowledge that include meeting Noffke's criticism by showing how the enquiries are contributing to the education of social formations (this includes the 'it', the 'we', the 'us' and the 'them').

As I continue to account to myself and to others for learning and living the values that carry hope for the future of humanity I am seeking to fulfil the 'humanizing influence' and the 'values arising from hope and hope' in the Vision and Purpose below:

Vision: The guiding vision and orientation of the Faculty is to develop educational thought and practices which promote education as a humanising influence on each person and on society locally, nationally and internationally.

Purpose: To contribute to the development of knowledge and understanding in all fields of education, characterising all work with values arising from hope and love.  (From the Strategic Map 2010-11 of the Faculty of Education of Liverpool Hope University see http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/lhu/LHUFacultyStrategicMap2010-11.pdf

Love Jack