From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pip and Bruce
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do i~we explain our educational influences in learning to improve our educational influences as practitioner-researchers within the social and other formations that dynamically include us?

Dear Jack and others

This is exciting news, and I know that the conference will be strengthened by the presence of yourself and Jean. The work that they are proposing to do is very important in postcolonial times.

I would warmly encourage you to visit http://tekotahitanga.tki.org.nz/  This website describes work done by Prof. Russell Bishop and others (started at my university, the University of Waikato). In Te Kotahitanga, an educational intervention aimed at helping teachers to better connect with and support the educational achievement of Mǡori students, action research processes are used by facilitators in schools to help teachers to focus on relationships with students - teaching the person rather than the subject. This programme has now been running for a number of years, spreading across the country, and is gradually starting to turn around (in the schools where it operates) the appalling overrepresentation of Mǡori in the ranks of educational underachievers. Anyone who's studied the works of Bourdieu on cultural capital will recognise how easy it is for what is taught in schools, and the way it is taught, to mirror the knowledge and practises of the dominant group/s in society, to the detriment of others. That's what's happened here - and because of that detriment, generations of Mǡori have been relegated to lower socio-economic status, dislocation from ongoing educational achievement etc. I think that Te Kotahitanga would be a great example to use in your work should you decide to do so. I'm sure Russell would be happy to provide you with any further information, but there's a lot already on the website.

Love and all the best at this important conference, to you and the participants

Pip