Sorry - I meant reductions in UG Price Group A and B funding, not just B.

Mike

From: Mike Milne-Picken
Sent: 15 December 2010 12:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: PG Fees after 2012

No – institutions are already market led for PG as it is (largely) deregulated, though the small amount of public funding does have an impact.

I’m saying that currently there will be an amount of T grant associated with a current fee – HESES10 says for 1 FT PG Price Group C, it is £1,172 (Standard Resource £3951 x 1.3 Price Group C weighting, minus £3951 assumed fee).

If that grant goes as a result of the Spending Review cuts, the gap will have to be plugged and therefore you would expect fees to have to rise across the board by circa £1k+ (assuming some ‘efficiencies’) or a serious reduction in quality.  If, however, the fee of say £4,000 becomes £5,000, it will still most likely be well below the ‘typical’ fee £6,000 to £9,000 fee for a UG course in the same subject/department etc.  A PG student might well ask whether they are getting less than a UG student as they are paying less.

Will PG Price Group C go?  We shall have to wait and see, but according to the BIS equality impact assessment of the UG fee changes on the BIS website, the £2,7billion saved by removing UG C and D from the funding is still significantly less than the £2,9 billion required in savings of the whole non-Research HE funding by the SR; and that’s not taking account the additional costs of the UG student support package over the SR period from 2012 that will occur as a result of the changes agreed by parliament last week.  While HEFCE can make savings in some marginal funds, the only other major savings that are possible are reductions in PG and UG Price Group B T funding.

Overall ‘what the market will bear’ will change over the next five years.  This is a market and it is both about supply and demand.  It may well be unpredictable.  The question is what policy assumptions should be made about the changes?  Is anyone thinking about it?

Regards

Mike