Daniel
Ethos works in the main by the host institution paying a subscription.  Requests for digitization of theses are then defrayed from this sum, currently at a max of £42.
Ethos has been very successful and member institutions frequently  'run out' of money before the end of the subscription year.  This may have happened in the case of the institutions who have the material you requested.  In other words they may not have withdrawn and may renew subs next year.
Also, as I understand you or your affiliated institution can also pay for the digitization.
Peter