Aloha,

On 12/13/2010 7:25 PM, Magliocco, Sabina wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

As for historical approaches to the movement, I can only conclude that for some, any inquiry into the historicity of tradition constitutes an attempt to de-legitimize it – which again is a misunderstanding of the whole endeavor.   I’m with Jason: “Triumph” and its successors (WDAKA and the twin books on Druidry) *celebrate* the history of modern Paganisms.  They should inspire others – both lay and academic writers – to further explore these histories, both in their British context and in other national/ global contexts.

Much of today's Pagan movement has developed during my own lifetime,
and some elements of it, influential elements, developed in and around
my own home patch while I was growing up there. I am the sort of
Pagan practitioner I am and the sort of writer-thinker that I am because
of that constellation of experiences.

I'd think that I knew something about the recent history of Paganism
in my own home patch.

Actually, not so much.

I find that trying to gain an attentive sense of various recent events
and processes and developments frustrating and baffling. There are
lots of lacunae, cul de sacs, and misleading paths. And, often, a bunch
of contradictory accounts and interpretations.

And, let me be honest here, I know of most of these things second or
third hand. Yes, they were going on and influencing me, sometimes
deeply. But I was not there as a participant or eyewitness. So, I'm
typically as much an investigator and speculator as any (other)
academic researcher.

What Hutton and his works have been for me are examples of useful
and provocative investigations. Sometimes into things that are
difficult to get a handle on within complex modern civilizations.

So I'm with Sabina and all here. It can be vexing that some Pagans
treat academic efforts to illuminate as rude attempts to embarrass
and demean Paganism.

Musing We Would now So Much More About The History Of
Modern Day Paganism If Only They Had Kept Better Records! Rose,

Pitch