Yes I agree, that’s why it is so annoying that many Pagans see “academic” as a dirty word, they just don’t know what kinds of work [academic] people are doing that are really interesting, useful to, and inclusive of practitioners.

~Caroline.

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Magliocco, Sabina
Sent: Tuesday, 14 December 2010 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Trials of the Moon and people who hate Hutton

Hi Caroline et al.,

I completely agree with you that academics can be totally annoying when they insist that their way of knowing is the only valid one.  But that’s exactly what most academic writers about modern esoteric *don’t* do, especially with respect to magic as an alternate way of knowing.  Many of us who write academically about these topics work alongside producers of knowledge in the communities we study, giving workshops, doing “reciprocal ethnography” and in various ways interweaving insider perspectives with more theoretical or analytical ones in our work.  For folklorists and many anthropologists, it’s the core of what we do.  So please understand if we begin to feel a bit tired when we’re accused of being exclusivist and denigrating insider knowledge.

As for historical approaches to the movement, I can only conclude that for some, any inquiry into the historicity of tradition constitutes an attempt to de-legitimize it – which again is a misunderstanding of the whole endeavor.   I’m with Jason: “Triumph” and its successors (WDAKA and the twin books on Druidry) *celebrate* the history of modern Paganisms.  They should inspire others – both lay and academic writers – to further explore these histories, both in their British context and in other national/ global contexts.

BB,

Sabina