Hi David/all

I'd be interested in Kate Smith's work, do you have a pdf/link/ref? I'll revisit Richard's article as well.

As you say it's important to clearly define what is meant by pet. Whether it's the only or best definition is somewhat beside the point, as long as the work keeps to the definition. The issue of ritual/special/abg's burials and pet burials will need to be addressed particularly since I, personally, don't think most indicate a 'pet status' but then again what is a pet? For instance, the horse dedicated to Frey in one of the sagas (sorry haven't got the ref to hand) has a special status different from other horse/livestock, but is that a pet? Are Salima's Egyptian puppy/dog burials pets? Both of these are ritual animal examples...do you think that makes them pets? What is your definition of a pet?

Quite a difficult task id'g pets, I think. Even the lapdogs -- could you be sure it was a pet and not a ratter? Again does doing a job exclude you from being a pet? I'd say no, but I don't know how you would discern this status archaeologically.

Jacqui -- if nothing else, your email has sparked off some great and divergent discussions. Re the pet topic, do you remember the hospital/mouse burial thread earlier this year? If not I can send you a copy (and I contacted them for more info).

best
Pam

Pamela J Cross
PhD researcher, Bioarchaeology