Hi all,

This is an interesting subject and something that I looked at (very briefly) as part of my PhD on the Norman Conquest. I am certainly no expert on names; in fact, I am nervous of dabbling in philology/etymology as you need so much knowledge to work with names (the philologists/onomasts I know are the closest things you get to the Wizards from Harry Potter - they know EVERYTHING!).

That said, I think it is worth exploring the issue of names from a zooarchaeological perspective, particularly when the linguists have already looked at the subject - it gives us the chance to see if new names represent just a new language or if we can find evidence for new behaviours.

So, the Cu -> Beef (Bouef), Sceap -> Mutton shift is a really neat example. Archaeologically speaking the dating is difficult but it does seem that the shift in terminology coincides with a change in the way that elite settlements were provisioned: on the multi-period sites I examined, I noticed that post-Conquest assemblages tended to contain a restricted suite of skeletal elements (mostly meat-bearing) whereas in the earlier periods all parts of the carcass had been represented.

To me, this suggests that the name changes are linked not only to the arrival of the 'Normans' but also to real changes in foodways - that the elite were consuming more 'prime' meat (which became associated with French terms) whilst the lower orders were increasingly eating up the rest. Interestingly, cuts of meat that were perceived to be lower-quality retained their Old English name - e.g. Ox tail.

Another thing that makes me think that the shift in name reflects more than just the arrival of a new elite (although clearly cannot be divorced from this) is the word 'capon', which has already been discussed.

capun (capon) appears in England for the first time around the date of the Conquest, which Burnley (1992, 429)

suggests reflects the dietary preferences of the Norman aristocracy. As Louisa says, the idea that the arrival of a word is associated with the arrival of a new people is hardly ground-breaking but when you look at the zooarchaeological data, you see that, shortly after 1066, there is a dramatic increase in the representation of domestic fowl on elite sites (it is almost double what we see on aristocratic sites of the Late Saxon period).

What I haven't done is look at the sexing/measurement data for domestic fowl to see if there is a coincident increase in the presence of large unfused specimens - that might make a nice UG dissertation perhaps?

Apologies for the long email - I'll leave pheasants for another day...

Burnley, D. 1992. Lexis and semantics pp. 409-499 in N.Blake (ed.) The Cambridge History of the English

Language Vol II 1066–1476. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.