Hi,

I imagine that as one of the leading web application frameworks
django is probably used by a number of institutions in the UK
Higher Education sector.

At the University of Bristol we are using it for bespoke application
development against our central Oracle databases, to integrate into our core
web systems such as the CMS, portal, and hopefully one day VLE.

Oxford are using it for mobile work, the Molly project,
Southampton for informatics I believe, etc.

It may be worth forming a HE community or perhaps at least a mail list to share
experiences, if anyone is interested. I was involved in a community django
event for the Bristol area last week, although that was more within the
commercial sector...

http://pypi.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/events/django-lightning-talks-at-the-ilrt

Cheers,
Ed Crewe