Dear Sun,

What about cluster-level inference that I suggested to you? Was
anything significant at the cluster level?

In general, you can continue using SPSS to look at components which
are known from the literature. SPM can help you discover new effects
not necessarily limited to peaks (in principle there is no reason why
interesting effects should be at the peaks and not all peaks actually
have physiological meaning). However, the price you pay is that you
have to be more strict and perhaps should include more subjects in
your study than you would with a standard SPSS analysis.

If you discover a new effect using SPM you can test it with SPSS in
your NEXT study as long as you are not using the same data for SPM and
for SPSS. That was the part I opposed.

Best,

Vladimir