Sometimes there is a bit too much extra information in the anatomical
scans, which can confuse the (normalised) mutual information
coregistration.  Here is a recycled response (
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0906&L=SPM&P=R49092
), which may help.

Probably the easiest fix for this would be to use the Segment button
(maybe the New Segment of SPM8) to generate native space tissue class
images of GM, WM and CSF, as well as a bias corrected version of your
anatomical scan.  The c1, c2 and c3 images could be used to skull strip
the bias corrected anatomical scan, which should give you an image that
coregisters rather better.

The skull stripping bit can be done using ImCalc, where you would select
the m***.img, c1***.img, c2***.img and c3***.img.  The expression to
evaluate would then be i1.*((i2+i3+i4)>0.5) .

If you plan to use the ***_seg_sn.mat file for spatially normalising,
then you should coregister the functional data to the output of ImCalc.
This would be done by having the ImCalc result as "reference", one of
the fMRI scans as the "source", and all the others as "other".

Best regards,
-John