Dear John

"Some old Greek thanslations of the Scriptures" was my first thought -
but they are not medieval as a rule. I don't think as well that the matter
concerns some books of Apostolic Fathers.

And I have a counter-question: why Kipling opposed the Catholic
Universities to 'the old church' (also Catholic, I think)?
And - does 'the old medieval' mean 'the early medieval'?

I think the text below I've found in the Net may be related to the
question.

All good wishes,

Yan

***************
http://reidbooks.exactpages.com/

With the exception of two or three of the above books, no-one
seriously questioned their authority until the Reformation in the 16th
century. Since the Reformation, many Protestant Christians (though not
all) have rejected all these books except "Proverbs and "Psalms" on
two grounds: (1) They were not written in Hebrew and therefore did not
form part of the Hebrew Bible; and (2) these books were never quoted
by New Testament writers because, in the main, they were not accepted
as Scriptural.

Over the centuries, the second argument could easily have been
disproved simply by consulting any Catholic or Orthodox Bible where a
wealth of cross-references detailing both direct quotations and
allusions from these so-called "apocryphal" books could be found.
However, the lie was finally given to the "no quotes" assertion in
1966 by a line-up of extremely conservative Protestant organizations:
American Bible Society, British and Foreign Bible Society, National
Bible Society of Scotland, Netherlands Bible Society, and Wurttemberg
Bible Society. The Greek New Testament published by these bodies
identifies many direct quotations from "apocryphal" books by New
Testament writers, from which there can be no doubt that inspired
authors like Paul, Matthew, Luke, John, James, Peter, and the authors
of Hebrews and Revelations regarded "The Wisdom of Solomon", "Jesus
ben Sirach", "The Psalms of Solomon", "The Adventures of Toby",
"Baruch", and possibly Greek Ezra and Susanna (both are quoted by
Matthew), as Scripture.

In fact, the only New Testament writers who do not make a direct quote
from any of the so-called "apocryphal" books are Jude and Mark.

Answering the first argument is more complicated. "Ben Sirach", for
example, was most certainly composed in Hebrew. No-one denies this.
But one of the problems that faced the Protestant reformers appears to
be that no Hebrew text was available to them and they distrusted the
Greek translation. There is likewise a fair degree of certainty that
"Psalms of Solomon". "Adventures of Toby", "The Visions of Ezra" and
the older section of "Baruch" were also written in Hebrew. But as with
"Sirach", no reliable Hebrew texts could be found in 16th century
Europe.

Mind you, the reformers had good reason to distrust the Greek versions
of the Old Testament that were current at the time, since the medieval
Greek manuscripts they were using for the New Testament were also
somewhat deficient (and light years away from the accurate editions
available today). Yet, oddly, this latter fact does not seem to have
worried them. They seem to have adopted a policy of "better a New
Testament with many accidental errors and occasional editorial/copyist
changes and/or intrusions than no New Testament at all!" It's a pity
they didn't apply this same "live and let live" policy to the Greek
books and chapters of the Old Testament that they decided to exclude.'