The proposals aren't equivalent.  Although the press has been reporting that Universal Credit will replace more than 30 benefits, that is not what the White Paper says.  It's a proposal to combine the calculations of six main benefits:  income-tested Jobseeker's Allowance, income tested Employment and Support Allowance,  Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.  The proposal is still partly baked (or half-baked, if you prefer): some key issues that have been left open to further discussion include the treatment of carers, mortgages, Council Tax Benefit (which is being moved to local authorities) and childcare costs.  The White Paper is at http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm79/7957/7957.asp

The scheme has been widely welcomed.  It shouldn't have been.
Paul Spicker

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">clivedurdle
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: "Benefits reform"

Many many years ago I learnt about negative income tax, citizen's income and similar.  Does anyone know if these ideas are part of these proposals as they were strongly supported by Paddy Ashdown.
Live long and prosper!

Clive

Clive Durdle

4 Toronto Road
Ilford
Essex
IG1 4RB

0208 554 5889
0794 198 8846

http://clivedurdle.wordpress.com/about/
http://web.me.com/clivedurdle

I wish to develop the Renaissance concept of Opera, where people work together closely to resolve the issues they face, from a participatory, equal, just, sustainable and whole system perspective.

Clive Durdle MSc BA (Econ) FCIH Dip Soc. Studs
Durdle Door Consulting