At 11:16 11/11/2010 +0000, Allan Reese (Cefas) wrote:
>Since list messages are archived, there is little point in accumulating
>all previous messages in each reply.  It s much easier if those replying
>to messages extract only the points they are replying to and quite easy to
>do so.  The convention is to preface those lines with > so your new -
>original and brilliant - contribution stands out.  Standard meaningless
>disclaimers are obvious candidates to drop.

I couldn't agree more.  I always do all I can to edit out all but the
crucial bits, in the interests of tidiness, and I suppose it might be
suggested that those who don't may be guilty of a little laziness.

It's an oft-discussed topic, but I don't think it's real a 'big deal' these
days.  Gone are the days when people had reason to be concerned about large
messages because of download time or storage capacity - so I guess it's now
simply a matter of tidiness and readability.

Kind Regards,

John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   [log in to unmask]
Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.