From: dianne stilwell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PSCI-COM] Sources of information on media training and media familiarisation
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, 4 November, 2010, 11:12

(apologies for cross posting)

Request for help please.

Is there a one-stop shop, website, publication or similar, that lists opportunities for media training,  self-help media training resources and media familiarisation-type courses?

I'm NOT looking for recommendations for media trainers (although if you are a media trainer and you are running courses that research scientists can attend please let me know).

I'm looking to pull together a resource to send to a disparate group of PhD students and young researchers, spread throughout  the UK. We're probably not in the market to do much media training ourselves (other than for key spokespeople) - but we'd like "our" students to be aware of what is out there and be able to sign up for courses if they are so inclined.

So for starters:
- Individual universities' courses?
- Reseach council courses?
- Wellcome Trust
- Science Media Centre
- Learned socs and professional bodies (specific examples please)

- Sense about Science's Voice of Young Science events
- British Science Association's media fellowships

White, Evans, Mihill "Hitting the Headlines" (but I think it's out of print)

I'm interested in stuff for working research scientists - not scientists who want to be journalists or trainee press officers.

All help very gratefully received - thanks in advance

Best wishes - Dianne

Dianne Stilwell
Communications Consultant
88 Munster Road
Teddington
Middx TW11 9LW

+44 (0)20 8977 6520
+44 (0)7957 200214
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

On Mondays to Wednesdays I'm Head of Communications at UK Energy Research Centre. I monitor this e-mail but it might be quicker to reach me on: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
020 7594 1573

Email commands:

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] with the following message:

2. To resume email from the list, send an email to [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] with the message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] with the message:

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate.

Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com.

To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]